Running a nonprofit organization is not any different than running any other organization with a set of rules, programs, policies and procedures. A board of directors at any nonprofit, regardless of mission, has a common set of responsibilities.
- Establish the mission and objectives for the organization.
- Participate in the annual planning process.
- Monitor and strengthen the programs and services that help to achieve the mission.
- Hire and evaluate the chief executive/executive director.
- Recruit new board members.
- Be the ambassador for the organization in the community and with stakeholders.
- Establish the budget, and provide financial oversight.
- Ensure decisions are made with legal and ethical integrity.
While we are referring to this list as a common set of responsibilities, common doesn’t imply agreed upon. A great exercise for your board is to review this list as part of a board meeting or annual retreat to ensure there is agreement and understanding.